Foods That Could Give You Acne
Oh my God!! I have got an acne!! This is the major problem while we are in the adolescent stage. I hope everyone especially girls would agree with me. Even having any other disease at this age is digestible but having an acne in their face cannot be taken for granted for an adolescent. I guess, girls are more worried than boys. While no foods are proved to cause acne but there are some foods that make it to break out. So girls, here are certain foods that promotes acne in your beautiful glowing skin. Check out this, and try to avoid these food substance and ultimately you get your glowing skin back acne free.
What is acne? Acne also known as acne vulgaris, is a long term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with dead cells oil from the skin. It is characterized black heads or white heads, pimples, oily skin and sometimes scarring. This is primarily seen in the areas where there is large amount of oil glands present. This is very common in face, upper chest and back. Several factors may contribute to the development of acne. But food being the most important factor that contributes to its development. Many treatment options like lifestyle modifications, medications are available to treat acne.
Here are some of the foods that contribute to the development of acne.
- Refined carbohydrates and sugars: A person with acne tends to consume refined carbohydrates and sugary foods. The foods like bread, pasta, white noodles, soda, and sweeteners as cane sugar, maple syrup and honey are on the high list. Refined sugars are absorbed rapidly into the blood stream that raises the blood sugar level. When this happens, insulin level also goes high and this high increase is not good for acne. Insulin increases the androgen hormone which contributes to the acne development. Still, in this area, the research is needed to known the real facts.
- Dairy products: the consumption of dairy products may increase the acne development. Dairy products may produce insulin like growth factor (IGF) which promotes the development of acne. It contains the enzyme called mTORC 1 which helps in the development of acne. So if you don’t drink milk or eat cheese, there are whole lots of foods that contain milk or any other forms of dairy product. It is better to make sure that the product is dairy free by checking the ingredient list before consuming the food.
- Fast foods: acne development is strongly associated with the frequent consumption of fast foods. The modern civilized society opens the door for lot of easily consuming foods which are filled with sugars, salt and cheese. These fast foods are fully loaded with fats, refined carbs and calories. These fast foods are the widespread chapter to be discussed separately. For example, the popular fast foods like burger, pizza, nuggets, hot dogs, milkshakes, sodas, etc may increase the acne development. Studies have shown that these fast foods have increased acne development by 24%.
- Omega 6 fatty acid rich diet: You will be wondering, that, is omega 6 fatty acid rich diet promotes acne? To your surprise, it is yes. The western diet is here to help us in time consuming foods and diet. But this diet is generally filled with omega 6 fatty acids. Excess of omega 6 fats may promote the development. This is because, the western diet consists of corn and soya which are loaded with omega 6. The imbalance that is created between omega 3 and omega 6 is the primary reason. Supplementing omega 3 foods may worsen the acne severity. Thus, diets rich in omega 6 and low in omega 3 may increase the severity of acne. So try to include salmon, olive oil, nuts which are rich in omega 3 and low in omega 6.
- Chocolates: Chocolates, a stress reliever food, also known to trigger acne. But dark chocolates may somehow helps to treat acne, because, the cocoa present possess antioxidants that fights the free radicals.
- Whey protein powder: as a supplement, it aids always a positive result on the health. But, sometimes, the amino acids that are present in the powder, may increase the insulin level to the peak. This insulin peak, may trigger the production of acne.
- Sensitive foods: there are some foods that are already sensitive to some people. Food sensitivities may trigger the inflammation which ultimately produce acne. But however, more studies have to come to get proved this topic.
It is always better to avoid, the oily foods and fat rich foods. Many other factors like sebum, keratin production, hormones, and blocked pores are also the reasons for the acne production. Hence, don’t worry too much about your acne, it’s been a part and parcel of the lives. And also diet and acne development is controversial. But however, there is a significant role for the diet in triggering acne.
Oh! No all my favorite dishes are on the list. What would I do now? What should I eat? You might be having all these questions. To your knowledge, here are some foods to combat this acne development.
Zinc: A zinc supplement may be beneficial for the prevention of acne. Commonly available zinc supplements like zinc acetate, zinc gluconate and zinc sulfate can be consumed or applied directly on the skin. The inclusion zinc rich foods like wheat germ, whole grains, nuts and beans also aids in the reduction of the severity of the acne.
Antioxidant rich foods: Antioxidants has the ability to fight with the free radicals developed in the body. Hence, consuming an antioxidant rich diet may help you to come out from the acne. For example, green tea specially, aids in the prevents the condition from becoming worse. Polyphemols in the green tea are known to reduce the sebum production and skin inflammation. One powerful antioxidant, resveratrol, has the ability to prevent the growth of acne developing bacteria. This antioxidant is rich in red grapes, red vine, peanuts and dark chocolates.
Turmeric: The component in turmeric known as curcumin, a polyphenol serves as a best cure for acne. It is shown to reduce the bacterial growth that leads to the development of acne. Addition of turmeric to the traditional dishes has been in practice since olden times. This is very common in south India.
Probiotics and fermented foods: Probiotics, helps in the wellness of the gut bacteria. There is a connection between the gut health and skin. If your gut health is not up to your mark, then for sure you may have acne. Hence, include probiotics and fermented foods like yogurt, miso, sauerkraut, kimchi etc. for your gut health which in turn treats the acne.
Omega 3 fat: omega 3 as we discussed above, helps in the reduction of inflammation and are termed as anti inflammatory. This has the effect of reducing the acne development.
So if you get an acne, don’t stress yourself. Balance your meals and find the solution easily.